Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Modish Matrons: Layering

 

For our March theme, Tina offers LAYERING and leads the way! We never discuss with one another what we're going to wear for our link-up party (we often don't even know ourselves until the last minute, ha-ha!), but not for the first time serendipity strikes Modish Matrons - and we pick a somewhat common color scheme. If you wish to join our party, you're very welcome - just find a link-up button at the very end of my post. We encourage your interpretation of our themes, if they sound inspiring to you and move your imagination. Please visit my beautiful co-hostesses TINA and BEATE to see their gorgeous interpretations!


This time it all began with a new skirt for me. I was looking for ways to style it with different tops from my closet, and of course since the temperatures outside are still quite cool, it is only natural to add layers! Both times, I topped my floral skirt with a (different) vest and the same coat with bold stripes, as they go well with the oversized floral pattern. And since we have plenty of rain, I used an umbrella, and even though it isn't a clothing item, it really becomes a part of an outfit, adding to both pattern mix and layering goals. 



And now about nuances of each outfit. In my first outfit, I played with layers and stripes (note the way clear heels become a part of the game!), as well as floral patterns of different scale. My vest has a removable faux fur collar, and it gives my coat an unexpected benefit.



In my second outfit, I based my choices on a desire to stay comfy as I knew I would be walking a lot. Because my flat boots come only in brown, I decided to add a rust turtleneck, referring to some flowers and leaves on my skirt.





And because that day the weather was especially damp, I wore a scarf which played well with the colors and scale of the outfit, and also added visual depth to my layers. I think I'll repeat this coat+scarf combination again and again. 


Outfit #1
Skirt - Eloquii
Coat - Simply Be (last year)
Umbrella - via Nordstrom Rack
Purse - Michael Kors
Blouse - vintage
Boots - Ashley Stewart
Vest with faux fur collar - Torrid Insider (last year)

Outfit #2
Skirt - Eloquii
Coat - Simply Be (last year)
Umbrella - via Nordstrom Rack
Purse - Michael Kors
Turtleneck - Chico's (old)
Vest - Lane Bryant (old)
Necklace/earrings set - gift from Elle
Scarf - Lane Bryant
Boots - Ecco via Nordstrom Rack

* * *


16 comments:

  1. this are both totally fabulous ensembles!
    (yes "ensembles" - "outfit" is much to lame!)
    could be the capsule wardrobe for a weekend city trip. chic, comfy, protecting against the weather. and all the flowers - that new skirt is sensational - and colors and the playful stripe mix make for a real good mood look!
    scarf and coat are a match in heaven!
    huge hugs! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dearest! Good idea about a weekend city trip, I haven't done that in a while - now I know what to pack, the rest is simple! :)
      Lots of love and YES to ensembles!

      Delete
  2. Some splendid pattern mixing there, Natalia! I love the bold florals of your skirt (I've got a 1970s St Michael scarf with a near identical print!) and using the umbrella to add more pattern to your outfit is a fab idea! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Vix! I'd love to see your scarf some time. This floral skirt is enchanting, I just had to have it - now I wear it often. :)

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh I love this wonderfull flower skirt Natalia ♥️ You march this theme in perfection. Very cool this comination layering and pattern mixing. This flowered skirt and the stripes of your coat.... a dream!
    Veeery big hug, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my sweet friend! I'm glad you like my new skirt, it will probably appear often on the blog. :)
      Thank you for being an awesome co-hostess!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes Natalia, wear it often, this skirt. :)
      I loooove our modish matrons soooo much and I send you a big "Thank you" for all your work with collage and linkup and so friedly support♥️
      Biiig hugs Tina

      Delete
  4. You rock your layers!, love your skirt, such an interesting piece to mix and match, and it looks fabulous with your striped coat. I like how your umbrela and scarf add another layer and enhance those stripes on your coat!
    Magnificent layering!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! So pleased to hear it from you. Please join us - you are the queen of layering yourself!!

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous way to wear that skirt twice, Natalia!!
    In the first photo...the prints go so well together that I thought it was a dress!
    I think layering is truly the way to make our outfits shine. I find it even somewhat boring in the summers because it's too hot to always layer!!
    jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodie, I'm the same way about Summer! :) Thank you for your sweet words and for joining our team!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous mix of colours and patterns in your layering. We are having some very warm days at present, so no layers today. Layers are why I love cooler weather , they are so much fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Jill! Cooler days are more fun for dressing up. Hugs!

      Delete
  7. Dearest Natalia,
    your new skirt is WONDERFUL - great colors, pretty flowers! - and I love your layering-mixes!
    Hugs from here,
    Traude
    http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2017/03/namibia-teil-10-baby-reicher.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Traude! Can't wait to see your new interpretations (you do layering so well!). :)

      Delete