Monday, January 1, 2018

Modish Matrons #19: Warm in Knits


Happy Brand-New 2018, everybody!
Let's make it what we want it to be, shall we?
Tina, Beate and I are having a good start here at our once-a-month get-together, 
and you are cordially invited to join us!



When Tina offered this theme, I felt challenged - for some reason, sweaters were what came to mind first, and I rarely wear sweaters these days. But then I decided to look at it more broadly and think what other knits I have in my wardrobe. 




And I realized I have plenty to choose from far beyond sweaters! Of course, things like scarves, shawls, hats, gloves and mittens ARE often knits. But also my favorite long cardigans and vests, knitted coats, and even my beloved dresses and skirts! Pretty much anything can be knits - and as a former mad knitter I should know!



So I went for what inspired me at the moment - and it was my wool blend sweater & skirt set. It's a beautiful ensemble all by itself, but I wanted to challenge myself a little further by A) wearing the two pieces separately from one another (and you've already seen recently the way I paired the sweater with a leather skirt HERE), and B) by wearing "knit on knit" in a new mismatched, but stylish way.



At first, I found out that my vintage blouse (perhaps 1970s?) was just the perfect partner for the wool skirt - same color scheme, and great pattern mix of wintry florals and stripes... Then the feather necklace came to mind, it gave the third dimension to the pattern. Perfect already!  





I then tried my outfit with the leopard knitted coat and loved the whimsical mix of patterns, but I also loved it with sleeveless long open cardigan because it gives the blouse sleeves a chance to shine. I like them both. Do you have a preference between the two? For a dry, mild and calm day running errands (basically, from home to the car, and from the car to the mall, and from the mall right back to the car, etc.) it was just fine, I didn't need any outer layer, otherwise I'd wear a coat for outdoors. I thought that my Karl Lagerfeld purse as well as Christmas snow completed my outfit beautifully. 


Photos by Anna and Justin

I asked Dochenka (dear daughter in Russian) to take some snow photos in our garden on early Christmas afternoon, before it melted completely the next day. Dochenka did such a beautiful job! Snow or no snow, knits are a great winter staple, and once again, I thank my dear blogging friends for widening my style horizon! If you think of it, knits can be worn in warm months too, if done in cool yarn, such as cotton. But then Tina would have to call it Cool in Knits, wouldn't she? 

Wool blend knit skirt - Lane Bryant (old)
Blouse - vintage (via Goodwill)
Feather necklace - Chico's (old)
Earrings - thrifted
Both knit cardigans - Target
Both sunnies - Lane Bryant (old)
Boots - Aquatalia (old)
Purse - Karl Lagerfeld via TJ MAXX

Linking with Visible Monday

* * *


19 comments:

  1. you are looking cool in knits - not temps wise of cause! :-D
    fabulous maximal look - the gucci theme seems to have infected you! love how the necklace extent the blouses print into the room and how the green purse pops against the warm colors of the clothes.......
    chapeau madame!
    dochenka made beautiful snow pics!!
    hugses! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Beate, you know me - I don't know the first thing about Gucci! :))) But I've always appreciated busy pattern mixes and layering, and started playing with them more lately.
      Lots of love!

      Delete
  2. Haha Natalia, we always are cool in knits! I really enjoy your pictures, your look, prints over prints with this stunning feather necklace! I see knit is a great theme for you ;)
    much love and a happy new year, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I noticed that often when I don't have a clue what to do for our themes, something inspiring happens! I am pleased with this theme, so thank you! :)
      Lots of love!

      Delete
  3. Weren't you lucky to have snow for this post! I love Anya's photos of you! I love how you paired the skirt (it immediately struck me as familiar, then I remembered the sweater) with that fabulous blouse and feather necklace. Both the cardigan - what a lovely, versatile piece - and the leopard coat are perfect, and interesting, accompaniments! Wishing you a wonderful, inspired 2018! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a keen eye, Ann! Anya took snow photos on Xmas Day - it already started melting at that point! But the next day (when Justin took pics of my outfit) some snow was still there, so yes, very lucky indeed! I am glad you liked my mixes, I rather enjoyed this theme too - and it might seem as if I was thinking about them, but it actually all came together in jut a few minutes!
      Lots of love, my friend!

      Delete
  4. Ślicznie wyglądasz:)))bardzo mi się podoba biżuteria i torebka:)))obydwie propozycje ładne:)))pozdrawiam serdecznie w nowym roku:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо, моя дорогая! С Новым годом!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pattern and texture mixing, Natalia. And the snow is such an evocative backdrop! Thanks for linking up and happy new year to you, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti, and happy New Year (and new year) to you too! :)

      Delete
  6. beautiful interpretation of the knit theme. You're absolutely rights, no need to limit knits to sweaters. There are so many ways to wear knits, be it scarves, skirts or cardigans.

    I really like both of the cardigans you wore, but I think that I prefer the one with the leopard print because I do have a weakness for animal print. That necklace is gorgeous btw.

    Great photos, it is always nice to see a snowy background, it looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivana! I think with the leo print it looks a little more interesting visually, and with the wine color cardi - a little more classical (or predictable if you will). And this blouse so far is the most wonderful companion for the feather necklace. :)

      Delete
    2. yes, that blouse fits it very well.

      You're right about the cardigans...leopard print is always visually interesting....and classic is also good when we're in mood for it.


      Since we both like animal print, I have a related story to share that you might find interesting since I know you also like opera & art.... I recently read an interview with one Croatian opera singer ( I already forgot the name, I have to look it up again) in which she said at Vienna opera house they rolled their eyes at her when she showed up for audition wearing animal print. She said that it made it easier for her since she knew right away that they wouldn't be a good match and decided to look for work elsewhere. She insists on choosing her own outfits and costumes (for example she will only sing Carmen wearing pants) and won't work with opera houses that don't let her pick what she will wear. Very interesting interview! I didn't know opera singers thought so much about clothes but I guess it makes sense as they have to feel comfortable in what they are wearing and for some of them clothes might actually help them with their expression on stage. Just goes to prove that wearing what we like can be very important.

      Delete
  7. Fabulous knitted ensemble Natalia!
    I love the muted colors and the artful mix... the feather necklace and teal bag are fabulous accents.
    Dochenka indeed did a fantastic job with the photos. I wish you a joyous and healthy year!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle,
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle! It pays off to live in a family full of writers, artists, inventors and photographers! :)) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Natalia! You look great in the knits you’re showcasing here, and I could easily picture you in knit dresses, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Tiina! Thanks for linking! Yes, I wear knit dresses, and ponchos (such as yours on this picture), that's the funny part - I wear all sorts of knits, even sweaters sometimes, and I really don't know why I "forgot" about all of them! :)

      Delete
  9. Beate's right, you're looking very Gucci-like in your luxurious mix of prints, textures and colours. How wonderful to have snow on Xmas Day but there again, you're a lady who believes in fairy tale endings, what could be more perfect! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Beate are fashion experts, so thanks, I will know Gucci now. :)))
      We all have a power to create - not only in fashion or writing or painting or sculpting, but in our lives. That's the fairy tale endings I'm talking about. :)
      Your Mum's knit coat is an absolute stunner! I would wear it all the time!

      Delete