Sunday, March 25, 2018

Searching for Sakura

 

There are a few ways I approach weekends. Sometimes, I plan way ahead - for instance, I formed the habit to plan a coming theater/concert season, so I study what local theaters and concert halls offer in advance, mark my calendar, so I won't miss plays and other events that interest me, and start reserving tickets. From time to time, I revisit my list of events throughout the season and see whether something else catches my attention. I started doing it years ago, and for that Justin calls me our family's cultural ambassador. 


Other times, we play it by ear - we just hop in a car and follow our noses. If it's not too cold or rainy outside, then we visit parks and gardens, or take walks in quaint old towns. If the weather is yucky, we might go to the movies, museums, or browse at antique malls and book shops.  




There is yet another way to spend a weekend - sort of in between the firmly planned and totally spontaneous ways, when something in particular suddenly calls us, and just as was the case this time, it can be seasonal, short-lived, and therefore there is a sense of urgency about it - we just must do it now or never (or, at least, not for another whole year). This time, we were in search for sakura - cherry blossom, which is quite an event not only in Japan, but also in the Greater Seattle area. If you're local, you know what I mean. There are a few spots around here where you can catch cherry blossom (i.e., read the CHERRY BLOSSOM LIST HERE), and every year you can find out when is the best time to visit (i.e., you can monitor on UNIVERSITY OF WA SITE) - usually the end of March - early April.



A row of camelia trees in Point Defiance Park


There are many other magnificent trees and flowers blooming around Seattle in late winter and early spring, so when we drove to Point Defiance Park in Tacoma (about 30 minutes from our home) in search for sakura, we knew we'd be in for more than one treat. Point Defiance Park is one of the oldest Tacoma parks (since 1888) and top 20 largest municipal parks in the nation, at 760 acres or 3.1 square km (Wiki article HERE). In 2011, the American Planning Association (https://www.planning.org/) designated Point Defiance Park as a Great American Place (woohoo! HERE). 





Before we got to our desirable destination point, a beautiful cherry tree in the Japanese Garden near the pagoda, we walked through the Rose Garden, and even though roses are sleepy this time of year, we enjoyed the variety of narcissus (often called daffodils here), a row of camelia, blooming in all shades from white and pale pink to darker pinks, hellebores or Lenten rose (which isn't a rose at all) in green, white and dark purple blooms, and many other plants, until we got to this gorgeous star magnolia, overlooking Puget Sound, Vashon Island and Cascades.



Star Magnolia in Point Defiance Park




Narcissus in Point Defiance Park 


Only then, in the middle of a carefully landscaped Japanese Garden, we saw this glorious weeping cherry tree with its shiny bark and the myriad of  little flowers cascading from the branches. In Japanese culture, sakura symbolizes clouds and is a metaphor for the ephemeral nature of life which is best expressed in the Japanese term mono no aware. They say that it's impossible to find an exact translation for this term in English, but I think it is quite understandable for anyone with a sensitive, empathic soul. Every time we encounter something as beautiful and short-lived as cherry blossoms, we feel deeply moved by it, charmed, astonished and ever so slightly sad - we experience what the Japanese call mono no aware.





The Japanese are also known for celebrating the season of cherry blossoms by picnicking under sakura - the tradition started by the royalty is nowadays popular with the whole nation. It wasn't warm enough to picnic under the tree this past weekend, so Justin and I had a dinner in a nice seafood restaurant with a gorgeous view of Puget Sound and ferries coming and going to Vashon Island. And even though we didn't find the whole garden bursting with sakura clouds that day, as I pictured in my imagination, I will always remember our peaceful walk discovering all kinds of blooms on the way to sakura. 



Lightweight brocade coat - Eloquii (bought on clearance; sold-out)
Dress - Prabal Gurung X Lane Bryant 
(old; also shown in JUNE 2017, APRIL 2017)
Silk scarf - thrifted 
(old; see the pattern in MARCH 2014)
Bird brooch - Chico's (old)
Shoes - Dansko (my favorite lately)
Purse - Karl Lagerfeld via TJ MAXX

Linking with Patti's Visible Monday

* * *

28 comments:

  1. How wonderful this cherry tree. Our cherrytree is still sleeping. We have to wait a few days. Maybee easter?
    It looks like a wonderful trip Natalia. You look so amazing. I love the picture you sitting on the red bench Wish you a great monday, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tina! Hope your cherry tree wakes up soon and share its beauty with you!

      Delete
  2. totally chic my dear!!
    your ensemble even has a japanese quality to it.....its the coat - but not alone. very elegant!
    pudget sound nature is a month ahed ours - no wonder - winters are more harsch here on the border of siberia ;-) i.e. we can have camelia only in glasshouses, were they bloom yet too......
    love your stroll around the blooming park - so many beautiful sights. and i think i need a cultural ambassador too!
    much love!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about a Japanese tone to it. Thank you, my dear!
      You made me laugh about the Siberian border! :)))
      Bloom season might be slightly later than usual this year, but not so much. Camelia starts blooming in January-February and through April - early May, super long season. But it's a very mild climate, very gentle. It rarely gets below 0 C, only a few nights per winter. So the soil never gets frozen. Our grass stays green all year long!
      In Siberia, the soil gets deeply frozen probably for a foot or more, so it's a very slow process of awakening, and very short period of blooming, and of course not that many plants can stand such a harsh long winter... You are somewhere in the middle I think, between harsh Siberia and mild PNW.

      Lots of love and warm sunny thoughts, my dearest!

      Delete
    2. 3 weeks ago a friend, who is a pro gardener, digged a hole with the machine (otherwise it was impossible), and while at it, measured the layer of frozen soil - 28cm! which is quiet much for the region. we have wine hills here! this winter was just extreme...more siberia than atlantic. but you´r right - we are in the middle here - but the border is not fix.
      xxxx

      Delete
    3. It's C-A-Y-Z-Y as one little girl used to say! This winter was fierce!
      Warm hugses!!!

      Delete
  3. Natalia , you look so very lovely in your floral print coat among the blooms. The gardens are beautiful with their collections of various Spring bulbs, camellias , hellebores and cherry blossoms. The sakuras take me back to my visit to Japan last year . Enjoy the beauty of Spring. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your coat and purse. You always look so good -- very elegant and put together. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again a stunning combination of the floral, stripes, and the lush pattern scarf around your neck. To say it’s beautiful is not sufficient. I’m very glad that I learned of this new concept. I think you achieved the essence of it with this look . Now if only dogwoods would flower year around!
    The brooch is it beautiful detail as well!!!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mono no aware isn't a foreign concept to someone like you, dear Elle! Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS LOOK NATALIA!!!!!!
    Xx
    Joi
    www.inmyjoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I wish the weather was nice enough here to enjoy such beautiful flowers! What a beautiful place to visit and look at the beauties of nature! Your outfit is really lovely! I adore that brocade coat and brooch!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca! I hope spring will appear soon on your land!

      Delete
  8. The first thing that caught my eye is that divine coat you're wearing, and I have to agree with Beate that it has a certain Japanese quality. Most Japanese cherries are not in flowering mode yet here. I've a feeling everything is a little late this year. Some streets here are known for their beautiful Japanese cherries, but it's a pity they don't last long. Spring blossoms and flowers never fail to cheer me up, especially after a long Winter. I am loving them all, but have a soft spot for Daffodils. There are so many varieties, and some of them are scented! Oh, and I have just noticed your bird brooch, it's so sweet! Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear!
      There are so many blooming trees around here, some start blooming as early as January and February. I was told that cherry trees start blooming in February here, but I am no expert - perhaps they are different kinds of cherries... I also love daffodils, so cheerful!

      Delete
  9. I am imagining the scents as you walk me through your garden visit. And did you wear perfume as well? If I gave you the big hug I have stored in my arms would I be surrounded by your beautuful scent?
    Surely that flowering coat carries its own perfume!
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear, for such a sweet comment! I haven't really noticed the smell in the garden - it's a huge open space on a little peninsula, so maybe it's just not that noticeable due to sea breeze? Not sure. I did wear a perfume though - Weekend by Burberry, a very springy smell, it's my favorite lately. :) I like the idea of the coat coming with its own perfume, hehe!

      Delete
  10. What a glorious combination of prints, you look absolutely wonderful.
    You're obviously a few weeks ahead of us as regards the seasons, we haven't even got any daffs yet! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix! Hope your season catches up with ours soon! <3

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful Sakura inspired outfit! That dress looks amazing on you. You always mix prints so well. Wonderful fashion inspiration! The location is simply stunning as well.

    I used to plan my weekends and really look forward to them, but somehow I lost my enthusiasm for them and now they're just regular days to me- perhaps I should do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivana! I love weekends because it's only days I can spend with Justin. Everyone works so hard in America, including kids with long school hours - we hardly have time to just be together.

      Delete
  12. Ślicznie wyglądasz:))sukienka i płaszczyk są wyjątkowe:)))bardzo lubię takie broszki:))Pozdrawiam serdecznie:)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. wowww, what a fabulous outfit, the brocade coat over the striped dress, with the sleeves poking out, gorgeous colors!
    Lovely post, thanks for sharing this 'mono no aware' subtle feeling, so moving!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that it was an enjoyable post to read, dear Monica! It was a joy to write! <3

      Delete